University of the Western Cape Courses
In order to study at the University of the Western Cape the applicant must have met the following criteria:
- The National Senior Certificate (NSC) required for Degree, Diploma or Higher Certificate study, as appropriate.
- To qualify for the National Senior Certificate (NSC), a learner needs seven subjects consisting of four compulsory subjects and three subjects of the learner’s choice.
- The four compulsory subjects are: two languages, one being the students Home Language and the other a first additional Language, Life Orientation and either Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy.
- The learner has to achieve a rating of at least 4 (50-59%) for four designated subjects in order to be eligible for degree study.
- In addition to the above, UWC has its own programme requirements which is specified in the tables below.
THE POINT SYSTEM
For admission to degree and diploma programmes UWC makes use a weighted system for calculating points, they are as follows:
NCS Level UWC POINTS
|Level||Percentage||Points for English*||Points for Maths or Maths Lit.||Points for Life Orientation||Points for each other subject|
|Less than 20%||0||0||0||0|
*English here refers to either English home language or English first additional language, not second additional language, which would rather fall under „other subjects‟
*Partially sighted students must be able to read 24 font size.